green beans and soy granules stir fried with ginger



Yes, ginger is the kick you get first when you taste it. I used fresh tender ginger rhizomes available in markets right now , they have lesser heat and if used in higher amounts in a stir fry, impart a wonderful flavor. Those fresh and tender ginger rhizomes look pale and have a pinkish glow at the growing tips , look out for them if you like ginger in all it's forms.

I used green beans here but this stir fry can be made with cauliflowers chopped in small bits and other vegetables too which remain firm after cooking , particularly the ones you like firm and crunchy cooked , not mushy.

ingredients....


green beans chopped in small bits 2 cups
tomatoes chopped in small bits 1 cup
boiled and squeezed soy granules 2 cups
finely chopped tender ginger rhizomes 3-4 tbsp
chopped green chillies 2 tbsp or more
cumin seeds 1 tsp
curry powder 1 heaped tbsp (made with coriander, cumin, black pepper corns and bay leaves in 4:2:2:1 ratio)
turmeric powder 1 tsp
mustard or peanut oil 2 tbsp
OR any other oil or ghee
salt to taste



preparation...

Heat oil in a pan and throw in the cumin seeds, wait till they splutter and then add the chopped green chillies and ginger. Let them fry just for a few seconds before tipping in the powdered spices. Mix well with the frying mixture and then add the tomatoes within a few seconds. Add salt and fry the tomatoes till they get mushy.

Tip in the chopped beans and stir fry till they get a little soft , about 3-4 minutes. Add the boiled and squeezed soy granules , mix well and keep stirring and cooking for a couple of minutes more.

Cooking time is about 8-10 minutes so take care not to overcook the beans .


As a side dish or as an accompaniment to chapatis it makes a nice healthy option. I served it with plain boiled rice and a kadhi with dumplings ...although i had it with chapatis myself as i like kadhi and this stir fry both with chapatis.

The kadhi with dumplings is the next post. Stay tuned in....

Comments

  1. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the curry looks absolutely delicious tempting and inviting.
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the curry looks absolutely delicious tempting and inviting
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv the combo of unusual flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great always love your healthy veggie dishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both my son and my husband don't like the taste of soy when I try to make a curry but this one is combined with beans and it looks great. So I should give this a try. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this combination. Never thought of mixing the two. It looks delicious. I will surely try to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They not only look, but taste delicious too..... Had these with rotis for dinner, and it has already become a favourite in my house, which usually happens with most of your dishes... I got a comment that one can just have this alone in a bowl... :) I think it will be a good idea to add how much of soy granules make up to two cups on soaking for people like me ;-). I added beans just after tadka, as beans were a little hard, followed by your magic masala and tomatoes... A couple of questions... One, the masala didn't seep in soy granules in my case, any suggestion for that?? And, could you suggest any other combos with soy granules, am sure peas will be nice... :)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      To get the masala seeped into the soy granules you have to take care to squeeze them properly so they absorb the flavors.Once squeezed they become like sponge to absorb whatever you put them into.
      Diced carrots and peas make very good combination with sot granules this way. You can try a mix of cauliflowers n cabbage together too....any vegetables that stays firm after cooking and tastes well when just about half cooked.

      Delete
  8. Wow! This recipe is great! I'm exactly looking for a healthy dish that I can cook for my breakfast on monday. I think this recipe is suited to my taste, because I really love eating green beans! I will definitely try this.

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment