fruit yogurt with chikoo and dried prunes....


Fruit yogurt with chikoo (sapota) and prunes, without added sugar. I never liked the taste of store bought fruit yogurts and it makes me cringe whenever I check the labels. Have you seen how much added sugar it has or how much actual fruit pulp it has? Coloring agents and conditioners do not make a yogurt healthy either.

I find my own homemade fruit yogurt great for between the meals snacking or for a rich dessert too. I keep advising people to carry home made fruit yogurt to work in nice sealed glasses The flavor of some fruit combinations develops really good when kept for 2-4 hours or even overnight . This chikoo and dried prunes is one of those combinations. Chikoo is Sapota , an astringent fruit , with medium sweet and malty taste...

Just chop some prunes, sticky dates and chikoo, 3 prunes, 3 dates and 3 small chikoo for 2 servings ..


Mix with 200 gm of fresh yogurt and a handful of chopped almonds, or any other nuts of your choice.


No additional sweetening is required. 

The naturally sweetened fruit yogurt tastes quite rich with the flavors of fruit getting enhanced by natural sweetness of dates and prunes.


Eat fresh for a healthy dessert or pack for healthy snacking during the day. This way you are not too hungry at meal time and can eat sensibly. I use a jar of nutella for this sometimes, perfect for such packed snacks to carry. Very convenient to eat too...


The prunes and dates get soaked and become luscious after a couple of hours. This is how it looked the next day when I had it... This particular combination of fruit and dried fruits works well for the next day ...


Use any fruits , dried fruits and nuts of your own choice, it is so easy to whip up and so very tasty. You would never pick up that brightly colored pack of fruit yogurt again. Make your own and enjoy good taste and good health together.


Chopped strawberries, bananas and oranges work really well with yogurt and keep well too.

A bowl of mango yogurt is such a treat in summer days. Use Greek yogurt, quark cheese or home made hung yogurt to make this dessert more luscious but still healthy.

How many of you like fruit desserts which do not need cooking ?

What if it makes a perfectly balanced healthy snack?

Comments

  1. I wanted to prepare something similar like this :)guess will do today,.u have inspired me

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmy .. now this has brought memories of home back home .. ah the neighbours are probably having all the fruits ..

    house is locked Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made my own yogurt; I've only read the directions on how to do it, and it looks so complicated to me! Now I am going to reinvestigate how to do it because this looks fabulous. I think I am missing out on something special.

    Wishing you the best in 2012 and always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a very healthy and delicious dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so simple. Nothing can beat home made stuffs. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so healthy and surely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and healthy one too.. First time here sangeetha u have a lovely space Following u

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish we got sapotta(Chiku) here in the US :( What other fruit do you think will go well with yogurt? I don't want to try apple or banana. Mango is out of season. So, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. who needs a dessert after this divine offering?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ A-Kay,
    I find the taste of fresh dates and dried prunes really very good. Fresh fruits I have tried with grilled or dry sauteed pine apple cubes and that was terrific. I love soft pears too with these dried fruits and some raisins sometimes.

    I so don't want to suggest you about the lots of colorful berries you get there, I am so jealous of all those fruits not growing in India ;)But you can use all those blueberries, raspberries and others to tease me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a gorgeous recipe. I am going to try it at home but with store bought yoghurt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purba, The 'Fruit yogurt' is home made, fruits and yogurt is store bought :-)
      The plain yogurt we get here is quite free from additives and can be used for convenience, though I make my own yogurt many times.

      Delete
  12. Wow Sangeeta, excellent space apart from your banaras ka khana, first time here and simply loved this recipe...too healthy and clicks look mouthwatering, prunes are my favorite but never thought of clubbing them in yougurt with other fruits, shall try this out..following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. I buy Cheeku only for this now a days :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment